Re: 2 Ethernet cabling question

On 12/26/10 9:36 AM, Tim wrote:
> I think a few people missed where *I* said this happened to our *phone*
> lines.  But, nonetheless:
>
> Dave Ihnat:
>>> I'll second that, with a caveat.  If it's absolutely, positively
>>> impossible to pull a new run, you *can* terminate with an 8P8C
>>> ("RJ45") male on one end of the repair and female on the other.
>>>
>>> I don't recommend it--it's burying an eventual potential problem in
>>> a difficult spot to get back to--usually two problems, as there's
>>> bee a junction at either end of the replaced cable segment--and will
>>> inevitably be forgotten until someone finds it and says, "What in
>>> 7734 were they thinking!".
>
> James McKenzie:
>> I will agree to this.  There is a standard and most splices will not
>> meet them.  You change the resistance and crossover talk resistance
>> characteristics of the run.  10MB might work, 100 MB might not.  Then
>> you have to break plaster to do another run later.  Better now when
>> the wall is open and you can do a pull right then after the damage is
>> done.   Again, cables should NOT cross over plumbing where it will
>> need to be repaired later and should, if possible, be run in conduit,
>> even in house walls (there are Kevlar protectors that you can wrap
>> your cables in just in case someone decides to get drill happy later
>> and the location of the cables is 'unknown'.)
> Yes, I'd advocate proper replacement of LAN wiring.  It's quite
> pernickety about being correct.
>
> But this was very old four-wire phone line, and no matter how far back I
> stripped the wires, one of the original pair was incredibly tarnished
> wire, that no amount of scraping, twisting, or even soldering, would
> make a good connection.  So, I thought I'd try the obvious:  Use the
> other pair.  Same situation...  It's not even twisted pair, it's just
> four wires in a jacket.
Ah, good old POTS wiring.  Yep, this stuff can and does corrode and
there is nothing on this planet, short of oxy-acetylene that will 'weld'
it back together.

Yep, time for a new run, or as you said, rip out the old and replace.

I thought we were talking about internal Ethernet Cat 3/5/6 wiring.

James McKenzie