Re: Pulseaudio 40% of CPU

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:36:54PM -0700, JD wrote:
>   On 10/25/2010 10:26 PM, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:

> >> Thanks Marko -
> >> I will look into finding a way to ask
> >> adobe about it, since it is their plugin.
> >>
> > To add to this, I have simialr problems with pulseaudio. Everytime I start
> > my laptop and log in to KDE pulseaudio does not work properly. Playing
> > mp3 just gives no sound (using mplayer). Playing movies on youtube or
> > other sites gives no sound with the movie and the movie plays at very fast
> > speed.
> >
> > But when I just do a 'killall pulseaudio' from a Konsole session everything
> > suddenly starts to work. Automatiacally a new pulsseaduio process is started,
> > mp3 plays fine and web video play smoothly with sound!
> >
> > Hope this may help.
> >
> > -Marcel
> Before you kill pulseaudio, see what it is doing by
> issuing the command
> strace -p PIDofPulseaudioProcess | tee /tmp/pulseaudio.strace
>
> You will probably find that it is stuck in an infinite loop poling
> a file descriptor and finding there is no data to read.
>
> If that is the case, your problem is still related to what I have
> reported in this thread.

When I start my laptop, and login to kde pulseaudio seems to run fine
in blocked state apperantly wainting for something to do.
When I then start to play an mp3 file pulseaudio starts looping. See
attached pulseaudio_strace_loop.txt with a few seconds of traceoutput.

Then I kill pulsaudio after which it is restarted. Playing the same
file wokrs fine now. See pulseaudio_strace_ok.txt with again a
few seconds of strace output.

After that I logged out and verified from a tty session there was no
pulseaudio process running anymore. Logging in to kde again
gave me a looping pulseaudio directly from start...
Killing pulseadaudio again gives me e new one running fine.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Marcel