Re: Pulseaudio 40% of CPU

  On 10/24/2010 08:28 PM, JD wrote:
>  On 10/19/2010 01:35 AM, Hiisi wrote:
>> 2010/10/19 JD<jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>>   I played one video on youtube, then
>>> killed the youtube browser tab.
>> <--SNIP-->... I have to always
>>> kill pulseaudio so I can get some response back.
>>>
>> Actually not answering your question, but just wanted to confirm this
>> problem on my system (2.6.32.21-168.fc12.i686). I often have to do the
>> same!
>> In my opinion 'flash' is an ugly thing. And, to be honest, I'm the one
>> among those whom to blame for its wide usage. I was working nearly for
>> 5 years as a part-time teacher at school, teaching schoolboys to use
>> flash in web-projects. Now I do not know how to atone for my sins :-)
>> Looking forward for html5 video support in FireFox. Hope it became
>> video-standard some day...
> No matter what we think of flash, pulseaudio is not a product
> of the flash plugin. It is a free and opensource linux product.
> I just created output of strace of the pulseaudio process
> and posted it at
> http://pastebin.com/VbgCXwc3
> It shows clearly that it is in a tight loop polling and finding
> nothing to process. As I had stated earlier, there is no youtube
> video playing at all. It seems once you play any browser based
> flash video, pulseaudio will continue to run even after you kill the
> tab where it was playing, and chew up 40% of cpu (at least, this
> is on my laptop with the old athlon64 3700+ unicore cpu).
> I do not know how much it consumes on much faster cpu's.
>
> Are there audio engineers on this list?
> Is this the way to handle an audio stream by an audio daemon?

I would like to add that this behavior is only evident when playing
a flash video via the browser.
But if I play a video via ffplayer, then after the end of the video,
pulseaudio goes back to consuming almost 0% of cpu.
So, is it possible that the flash plugin is not closing the audio
file descriptor, so pulseaudio keeps polling and finding nothing?