Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Chris Smart <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>> Yes I do.
>
> Then I guess either your initramfs still has the nouveau driver (which
> will cause problems with NVIDIA), or it doesn't but you have the rhgb
> kerning theel option (which is fine).

Maybe I misunderstood your question. I'm not getting a pretty splash
during startup, only the three horizontal bars showing the startup
progress. The few times I've managed to boot with X, with nvidia, I've
been getting the nvidia splash but always only the bars before that.

> Unless I'm mistaken, plymouth will use KMS by default if it has
> support for it in the nouveau driver. If it doesn't have that, then it
> will fall back to text mode, however you can still get a pretty splash
> if you pass the rhgb option to the kernel.
>
> This is what my kernel line has, which gives me a lower-res but still
> pretty splash screen without KMS or nouveau:
> nomodeset rhgb quiet vga=0x369 nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau
>
> So, if you're getting a pretty splash but you aren't passing similar
> options as above, then your initramfs probably still has nouveau.

dracut is supposed to create a new initramfs for me, right? So if this
is the problem there is something going wrong when I create the new
initramfs, like nouveau hasn't been correctly blacklisted? What can I
check before I run dracut?

>> Yes, I removed it. This is not the problem, the problem now is that
>> something gets corrupted when I'm using nvidia so that upon restart
>> I'm back to the original problem (X never starts).
>
> Well all I can suggest is that you boot to say, run level 3, check
> that nvidia is loaded, check that nouveau is NOT loaded, check that
> your xorg.conf file is correctly set to use the nvidia driver.
>
> If that's all good but X still doesn't load, read your
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log log file to see what X is actually trying to do.

Ok, I'll try to reinstall everything again and see if I can get it right.

Thanks for the help!

/h