Re: Video drivers on a MacBook Pro 5,2

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Chris Smart <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Henrik Frisk <frisk.h@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Thanks. I'll look into this once I've gotten my nvidia drivers to work.
>>
>> This might help:
>> http://oliver.net.au/?p=70
>> http://oliver.net.au/?p=160
>>
>> I install the NVIDIA drivers using RPMFusion's repo, using the akmod
>> (so that it's built automatically, unlike kmod).
>>
>> Remove current xorg.conf file, else the auto-enabling feature will fail.
>>
>> Something simple like this (for 64bit) should do, as root (from memory):
>> yum install @development-tools
>> yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686
>> xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 time dkms
>> dracut -f /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
>>
>> This will blacklist nouveau, which is why we then re-build your initramfs.
>>
> Thanks Chris, this helped! Using the akmod-nvidia worked! The only other
> difference (compared to how I did it before) was that I ran nvidia-xconfig
> before restarting X.

It turns out my xorg.conf gets corrupt for some reason. Today when I
rebooted the computer wouldn't start (same flickering white bar).
Running nvidia-xconfig solved the problem. I will now make a copy of
my current xorg.conf and compare it to one that is corrupt. Hopefully
that will tell me what the problem is and maybe what causes it.

Should anyone have a better suggestion, please let me know.

/h