Re: Update failes

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 19:49:32 +0100 (BST)
Patrick Dupre <pd520@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, mike cloaked wrote:
> > It is entirely up  to you but the best advice I can offer is to
> > listen to what the very experienced Fedora users suggest what you
> > should and what you should not do! Ignoring the voice of experience
> > is unwise!
> >

> I am perfectly happy with that.
>
> The story is:
> I tried to update 1 system from fedora 10 to 13, it failed before
> it even starts the update!
> 1) I tried 3 times.
> 2) I will have to do it one or 2 more times
> 3) I already had a similar problem when I update this system to
> fedora 10 4) I posted the output of anaconda like it is suggested by
> the installation
> 5) I did expected that somebody would have a look on this file
> and give me some feedback.
> 6) Accordingly, I will see what to do.
> 7) I do not see the point now in trying to make 10 -> 11, 11 -> 12,
> 12 -> 13 and face the same problems every times if it can solve more
> efficiently.
> 8) I could help more that one person in maintaining fedora system.
> 9) Does my way of trying to make progress wrong ?

error: rpmdb open failed

This is the pertinent part of the anaconda output you posted.  I
vaguely recall that rpm changed in an incompatible way between F11 and
F12.  That would explain why F13 can't open an F10 rpmdb, because it is
expecting an F12 rpmdb, with which it is compatible.  If it can't read
what you have installed, it can't upgrade it, so it bails out.

The sequence of updates you suggest in point 7 above might allow you to
do this update from F10 to F13.  I'm not sure how readily available the
packages will be to preupgrade for the update from F10 to F11 since
both are out of support.  I have seen links posted on this list for
archives of past releases, so you might be able to make it work.

All in all, I agree with others that you would be better off saving
your home directory, and anything else unique for you, and doing a
fresh install.  It seems like CentOS might be a better fit for your use
case too, since it is stable and maintained for long periods of time.

But you have to decide that.

Good luck.