Re: Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On 10/15/10 1:31 PM, Dean S. Messing wrote:
>>> Discussing OpenSource versus Proprietary always brings heat.  Folks have
>>> to remember thought, that the OpenSource drivers do not support features
>>> and products that the proprietary drivers do, due to the 'hiding' of
>>> information by Vendors and the time it takes to black box test a
>>> particular feature.  That is a fact of life and we all need to keep that
>>> in mind when someone asks:
>>>
>>> "Open or closed source"?
>>>
>>> Well what video card do you have and what do you plan to do with it?
>>>
>>> Older model, 2D and simple 3D:  Open Source, almost always.
>>> Newer model (not on the OSS driver supported list) or complex 3D.
>>> Proprietary, mainly.  As the OSS driver picks up more features AND the
>>> video card becomes 'older' then the OSS driver should be selected over
>>> proprietary.
>>>
>>> Simple answer, complex solution as information has to be gathered and
>>> suggestions should be made with caveats "This works for me" or "Your
>>> Mileage May Vary".
>>>
>>> No need to argue here.  This is about as cut and dried as it can be
>>> made.  Some folks swear by Open Source, others at it.  Some swear by
>>> nVidia/Catalyst/Intel, others at it.  Nobody is ever going to be
>>> completely satisfied by someone else's solution if they are not doing
>>> EXACTLY the same things.
>>>
>>> James McKenzie
>> A voice of reason on this issue.  Amazing. :-)
>>
>> As for me, on every new Fedora release I install (currently running F13)
>> I try the latest open source driver first.  Then I install the NVidia
>> driver (from the rpmfusion-nonfree repo).  The latter has not yet failed
>> to be snapper when running the KDE Desktop Effects than the former.
>> That's on my desktop machines.
>>
> Hopefully the Open Source community will figure out how to support your
> unique configuration and make us all happy.  Until then, you have to do
> what you have to do.
>
> Thank you for the nice comment too.  I tend to live in the commercial
> world but use Fedora/CentOS in my private life.
>
> James McKenzie

I'll probably keep away from NVidia drivers for now, even if more
people voted for them. Just because I would like to test Nuveao driver
on different NVidia cards and see for myself how do they work.

--
pratite me na twitteru - www.twitter.com/valentt
blog: http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com