Re: Proprietary or open source NVidia drivers?

  On 10/15/10 1:31 PM, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:50:12 -0700 James McKenzie wrote:
>>   On 10/14/10 1:52 AM, Valent Turkovic wrote:
>>> This post has raised some heat in blog comments and also in Fedora
>>> mailing list discussion.
>> Discussing OpenSource versus Proprietary always brings heat.  Folks have
>> to remember thought, that the OpenSource drivers do not support features
>> and products that the proprietary drivers do, due to the 'hiding' of
>> information by Vendors and the time it takes to black box test a
>> particular feature.  That is a fact of life and we all need to keep that
>> in mind when someone asks:
>>
>> "Open or closed source"?
>>
>> Well what video card do you have and what do you plan to do with it?
>>
>> Older model, 2D and simple 3D:  Open Source, almost always.
>> Newer model (not on the OSS driver supported list) or complex 3D.
>> Proprietary, mainly.  As the OSS driver picks up more features AND the
>> video card becomes 'older' then the OSS driver should be selected over
>> proprietary.
>>
>> Simple answer, complex solution as information has to be gathered and
>> suggestions should be made with caveats "This works for me" or "Your
>> Mileage May Vary".
>>
>> No need to argue here.  This is about as cut and dried as it can be
>> made.  Some folks swear by Open Source, others at it.  Some swear by
>> nVidia/Catalyst/Intel, others at it.  Nobody is ever going to be
>> completely satisfied by someone else's solution if they are not doing
>> EXACTLY the same things.
>>
>> James McKenzie
> A voice of reason on this issue.  Amazing. :-)
>
> As for me, on every new Fedora release I install (currently running F13)
> I try the latest open source driver first.  Then I install the NVidia
> driver (from the rpmfusion-nonfree repo).  The latter has not yet failed
> to be snapper when running the KDE Desktop Effects than the former.
> That's on my desktop machines.

Hopefully the Open Source community will figure out how to support your
unique configuration and make us all happy.  Until then, you have to do
what you have to do.

Thank you for the nice comment too.  I tend to live in the commercial
world but use Fedora/CentOS in my private life.

James McKenzie