Re: OT:How to disable a built-in kernel module?

On 15 Oct 2010 at 18:30, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 15 Oct 2010 18:30:01 +0100
From:           	"Bryn M. Reeves" <bmr@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	Community support for Fedora users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: OT:How to disable a built-in kernel module?

> On 10/15/2010 06:21 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> >   On 10/15/2010 02:33 AM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> >> I have a project in which I build most nic and disk modules into the kernel file
> >> so it will support hardware with any of the devices. In most cases this works
> >> just fine with the kernel only loading the correct ones. But rarely, it stops on a
> >> module that is not in the hardware. The latest one is the myri10ge module for
> >> one users. I have built a kernel for this user with this module disable, but
> >> would like to know if there is a kernel command line option to disable module.
> >> blacklist doesn't seem to work with built-in modules.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> > inside /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:
> > install <MODULE> /bin/true
>
> The OP is talking about components that have been configured to be
> linked into the main kernel image  (i.e. they are not modules at all).
> Any modprobe.conf/modprobe.d hacks will only affect things built as
> separate object files (.ko files, or .o for 2.4 and earlier).
>
> To answer the original question: generally speaking, you can't unless
> the component itself provides some mechanism for it to be disabled via a
> kernel command line option.
>
> The ability to completely disable certain modules is one of the benefits
> of having a modular kernel build in the first place.

Thanks for the info. The cd image includes a number of kernels with various
kernels, to support wide hardware. Sometimes the latest kernel works, but
sometimes older ones work. That is why the kernels are built as single files.

As an additional note, just heard back from the user, and the kernel without
the module, still stops, but now it stops at the module listed in the config
before that one, so now disabling the one after that in the kernel config file.

I had hoped the debug kernel option might show more info, but seems to be
the same.

Again, thanks for the info.