Re: X won't start on F14 - I've run out of ideas!

  On 10/12/2010 07:04 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
> This is an F14 box with all the latest patches
> It has an nVidia GeForce 8400 GS video card
> It had been running the proprietary nVidia driver from rpmfusion
> About two weeks ago, after some updates which unfortunately I didn't
> take note of, X would no longer start (long story)

A recent kernel had debug mode turned on.  The nvidia module will not
load with debug mode on.

I had to rebuild the kernel by hand to fix the issue, but the latest
kernel I have installed: 2.6.35.6-39.fc14.x86_64, seems to work again.

Another thing to watch for, is that many motherboards with integrated
graphics and an installed PCIe card that you want as the main display,
may not work during an install.

If you have IGP you may want to set that to the default in the BIOS and
try again.

But in this specific case, you may have hit a kernel with debug mode on.

Good Luck!