Re: FC12 Boot partition too small to Upgrade to FC13

On 09/11/2010 12:09 PM, Tod Thomas wrote:
> I need to upgrade to Fedora 13 but my boot partition is too small (200
> MB) and it needs to be at least 500 MB.  The boot partition is
> followed by an LVM volume goup composed of a 145 GB root LV and a 5GB
> swap LV. How can I 'safely' decrease the size of the volume group and
> increase the size of the physical boot partition?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> - Tod

Turns out my hardrive was dying.  I had a lot of bad sectors which
probably explains my machine locking up in the first place.  I decided
to replace the bad drive and at the same time migrate of of LVM and go
back to traditional disk partitions.

I dd_rescued my entire hard drive because dd couldn't read it 100%,
luckily the bad sectors were confined to the boot partition and were
unallocated (figured this out via a lot of trial and error).  I bought a
new hard drive, created four linux partitions (three including swap -
/dev/sda1-4), loopback mounted the disk image and dd'ed back all of my
original boot partition (sda1), mounted my VG and dd'ed its contents
over to sda2, modified grub.conf, fstab, mtab to point to the new
partitions, mkswap, and two weeks later life seems to be good.

There are a lot of details I'm not listing, if anyone is interested I'll
be happy to write it up.  Thanks to all those that helped me out.  Now
off to FC13...

- Tod