connecting to facebook chat

Hello,
I am inside a campus network and trying to connect to chat.facebook.com using
kopete on port 5222
this is not working for me, I have tried to consult my network admin since I
thought the problem reside in the network firewall configurations.
he claimes that he can see successful connection from my ip on this port
(5222) however both Kopete fail to connect and trying 'telnet
chat.facebook.com 5222' gives timeout error every time. trying the same for
jabber.org fail also.
Assuming my net admin know his job Is there a chance something I did can block
me from getting to this service?
my firewall is configured using the gui to only allow incoming SSH but I did
nothing regarding outbound connections.

Thanks in advance,
YB.