Re: FC12 Boot partition too small to Upgrade to FC13

On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 15:27 -0400, Tod Thomas wrote:
> On 09/11/2010 08:52 PM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > Tod,
> >
> > Michael Chronenworth posted a simple solution to preupgrade's /boot
> > space problem. He moved install.img (148MB) from /boot to a thumb drive.
> > When anaconda doesn't find it in /boot, it asks for its location. Point
> > anaconda to the thumb drive and the upgrade will proceed without a
> > hitch.
> >
> > HTH
> > --Doc Savage
> >    Fairview Heights, IL
> >

> Doc,
>
> This sounds like what I'm looking for. So now for dumb questions.
>
> Is this something I can do when upgrading from a wireless box using yum?
> If so where in the process does install.img become available to me for
> copying? Should I just let it run through to the confirmation screen and
> then say no, perform the copy process, and then yes at confirmation or
> do the copy before hand?
>
> Also, I'm assuming preupgrade never enters the picture - correct?
>

> Thanks for your patience.

Tod,

Just passing along the tip. I've never used the pre-upgrade method
myself, preferring to back up my home directory and do a from-scratch
install. I can't speak as an authority about its detailed choreography.
That said...

As someone else has already suggested, there's at least one fairly
obvious step you could take to maximize the available space in /boot
before running pre-upgrade: Use 'yum erase ...' to remove any kernels
you are no longer using. You really need just the latest one. That
should leave you with about 180M in /boot.

If that still isn't enough, face the music, back up your home directory,
and do a from-scratch installation. When you do, make sure you set aside
500GB for /boot. (Upgrade demands on /boot, now and in the future, will
force you to do this sooner or later.)

It seems to me that after running pre-upgrade, it will probably pause or
return you to a prompt where you can mv install.img to that thumb drive.
If unsure, a quick check from another terminal window will tell you if
it's there.

Do keep a CD #1 handy as a rescue disk in case something goes wrong.
Upgrading may be nice & easy, but if that's all you ever do you'll
forget how to do a from-scratch installation. That's one skill you never
want to lose.

HTH,
--Doc