Re: Can't tell which hard drive to install Fedora 13 OS to.

On 09/15/2010 04:35 PM, JD wrote:
> Do you have PartitionMagic?
> If so, you can use it to compact both disks, and shrink the
> partition size (graphically) and leave room for Linux.
> Should not need more than 8GB for linux and 2GB for swap.
> If you plan to install a lot of software packages, and have a
> lot of room for data you will generate under linux, then you
> have to be the judge of that. It is always good to have 2-4
> GB of swap space. It is needed in case you want to hibernate
> linux. Of course swap does not have to be a partition. It can
> also be a regular Linux file.
>
> Once you shrink the partition, the freed up space will be
> visible to the F13 installer and you can select it from
> the installer's choices to create a new partion there
> and mount it as / and format it as your favorite filesystem.
>
> If you cannot get a copy of PartitionMagic, there is another
> way, which is more involved.

Linux has a number of tools that are preferable to Partition Magic.
Gparted is an excellent tool. You can get it from
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/, and create a bootable CD/USB.  Gparted
may also be on the Fedora Live CD, but I'm not sure.

Also note that Anaconda (Fedora installer) should tell you what drive
Windows is installed on. You should be able to easily dual boot Windows
and Fedora once Fedora is installed on the second drive.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix