Re: Can't tell which hard drive to install Fedora 13 OS to.

On 09/15/2010 12:56 PM, allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using a laptop with two hard drives in it, one which has Windows
> Vista installed on it, and another physical drive which is a Data drive,
> each of them are 150 GB in capacity.  I wanted to convert my Data drive
> into a disk that has Fedora 13 (KDE Spin) on it.  I made a 2GB USB pen
> drive into a LiveUSB with the KDE Spin ISO file on it and my computer
> boots up fine into Fedora 13 with it.  However, when I go to "Install to
> Hard Drive," I am presented with a conundrum.  When I go to select which
> drive I want to install the Fedora OS to, the drives are virtually
> indistinguishable, save for differing IDs which are just strings of random
> numbers and letters.  I can't, for example, tell from this how much space
> is left on either, or which drive has Windows installed on it, and I don't
> want to partition one for Fedora 13 only to find out that it was the drive
> with Windows on it and end up losing all of my information.  Does anyone
> know of a way to distinguish between the two, or can anyone help me
> through this process?  Thank you for your time and help!
>
> Dan
Do you have PartitionMagic?
If so, you can use it to compact both disks, and shrink the
partition size (graphically) and leave room for Linux.
Should not need more than 8GB for linux and 2GB for swap.
If you plan to install a lot of software packages, and have a
lot of room for data you will generate under linux, then you
have to be the judge of that. It is always good to have 2-4
GB of swap space. It is needed in case you want to hibernate
linux. Of course swap does not have to be a partition. It can
also be a regular Linux file.

Once you shrink the partition, the freed up space will be
visible to the F13 installer and you can select it from
the installer's choices to create a new partion there
and mount it as / and format it as your favorite filesystem.

If you cannot get a copy of PartitionMagic, there is another
way, which is more involved.