Re: Can't connect DD-WRT Router to Comcast

On 09/14/2010 09:44 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 13:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
>
>> 1. I have called Comcast and they swear that the connection is not
>> registered to my PC MAC address.
>>
>> 2. I cloned the PC mac address in my DD-WRT/Router.
>>
> Personally, I would try most strongly to get the ISP to accept the MAC
> of the router, rather than the PC.  Or whatever else is the first device
> facing the ISP.
>
> It saves you all the malarkey of trying to force your hardware to do odd
> things to accommodate daft management in the ISP.

I have had various routers connected to Comcast( previously attbi,
mediaone, highway1) for a number of years. At least in my area I can
verify that Comcast does not authenticate on the MAC address of the PC.
I don't recall when they stopped doing this, might have been before
Comcast took over from ATT. But, the last two routers I had I did not
bother to clone.
One test I would do is to:
connect a laptop (preferably) or a desktop directly to the cable modem.
If the connection works, then connect the same PC to the router, and
connect the router to the cable modem. Log into the router and check to
see if it gets an IP address from Comcast.

Some other issues are with DNS. I use my router as my primary DNS, and
add the Comcast DNS servers manually, or add a public DNS server.

Also, depending on your cable modem, you might need to reboot the cable
modem when you change the physical device connected to it. While Comcast
may not authenticate on your MAC address any longer, the cable modem
itself may store the MAC address.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix