Re: X crashes on diskless NFS mounted / filesystem

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/08/2010 07:59 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>> Fully updated F13 kernel 2.6.34.6-47.fc13.x86_64
>> I have even tried upgrading to xorg-x11-drv-intel 2.12 from koji ajax
>> build (no joy)
>>
>> The boot process fails launching X. It keeps showing
>>
>> init.orig: prefdm main process ended respawning
>> init.orig: prefdm main process [1913] terminated with status 1
>>
>> until it says respawning too fast, stopped
>>
>> I have tried setting an xorg.conf file and also without it (no joy)
>>
> Robert, what's this init.orig????
> The init process is just called init,
> not init.orig.
> How many init programs do you have in /sbin ??
> Is /sbin/init a symlink to /sbin/init.orig?

Not sure. That's just what is displayed on the screen before it dies.
Ah now that I think of it it's probably the custom version of init
DRBL is using. DRBL is the diskless system I am using. See
http://drbl.org/

> anyhow... moving on...
>
> So, the reason prefdm re-spawns so fast is
> because gdm starts and dies causing prefdm
> to restart in order to respawn gdm.
>
> Why is gdm dying? It is because the Intel driver
> you selected in your xorg.conf has a serious bug.

Again not sure. I think X is crashing, read the Xorg log I pasted.
Unfortunately, I read you cannot issue nomodeset to the kernel at boot
in F13.

> Could you try to use the generic vga driver?
> You do that by editing your xorg.conf and setting
> the driver to vga (instead of intel).
> and restart.

Yes I already tried using "vesa" in xorg.conf. It works but it's
completely unusable for students in terms of performance (very slow)
and look as monitors are all widescreen lcd.

> Let us know.
> --

Robert Arkiletian