OT - Command line manipulation of sound files

I attacked the seemingly simply task of producing an audio CD from a collection of MP3 files and  have concluded that it's not as easy as it sounds. UNLESS GUI front ends are used!  I would much rather stick with CLI because scripting works better that way.

I decided that the first step must create a .wav file for each .mp3.  I found many scripts to do that; kept coming back to the very simple
mpg123 -w outfile.wav infile.mp3
That has worked fine for all the mp3 files I've given it, producing .wav files that play properly with the command
play outfile.wav
Further, the .wav file will be played properly by VLC Player AND if chosen by k3b as a file to be written to an audio CD, that CD will play fine in the original factory CD player in my '98 Chevy pickup.
BUT I have spent most of today finding and trying, then rejecting command-line solutions for writing to CD.
>From http://sharkysoft.com/tutorials/linuxtips/cdcommands/
I find this one
cdrecord -v -pad speed=1 dev=5,0,0 -dao -audio -swab *.wav
Which yields cdrecord: Inappropriate audio coding in '$first_file.wav'

Then, from http://www.pallier.org/ressources/linux_howtos/linux_howto.html#tth_sEc24 we have
cdrecord dev=5,0,0 -pad speed=0 -audio *.wav
Which doesn't work, either.

Again, I have no problem with k3b EXCEPT that I must manually select which songs to burn to the CD rather than let a script do it ... and surprise me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!