Re: Fedora 13 on Dell E6410 screen resolution problem

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 11:12 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 09:51 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> > I never have been able to get Fedora 13 to work.
>
> I did finally get it installed, and it was a convoluted process :-)

> I say "mostly works" because I have not been able to get the screen to
> replicate on both the laptop display and the external monitor

I kind of got this to work as well. The problem seems to be that my old
laptop was 1024x768, and this resolution is natively supported by the
external monitors I have. So there was never any rescaling going on
within X, it was within the monitor hardware.

The E6410 screen is 1440x990, a resolution that is not supported
natively by either of my monitors (home or work), so I cannot use a
cloned display at this resolution. At home, the monitor will support a
1400x1050 resolution, so if I manually set the external monitor to use
this resolution (in nvidia-settings), I can then turn "clones" on and
get a cloned display. At this resolution, it looks good on the monitor
but the bottom of the display goes off the bottom edge of the laptop
screen. This doesn't much matter because I normally only want to turn
clone mode on when I am using the external monitor, and this will now
work at 1400x1050, which is at least better than with my old laptop. The
work monitor is older and suckier, so the best I can do cloned is
1024x768. The monitor is capable of 1920x1080, but it is limited in what
other resolutions are natively supported.

But by default the laptop screen will come up at full 1440x990
resolution, and I then just have to fire up nvidia-settings to set up
the external monitor. It is annoying that it won't go into cloned mode
automatically like it did before, but unless I can find a monitor that
supports 1440x990 natively, I'm probably stuck with it this way.

--Greg