Re: Fedora 13 on Dell E6410 screen resolution problem

On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 09:51 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> I never have been able to get Fedora 13 to work.

I did finally get it installed, and it was a convoluted process :-)

My first problem was that I was using what I thought was an install DVD,
but turned out to be a live DVD. Also, these machines really are 64-bit
machines; I was trying to install the i386 version (my understanding is
that this should be possible but it isn't the best choice for these
systems).

The install DVD would boot fine and run through the install process, but
the system would not boot graphically after the install, even using
"nomodeset". What I had to do was boot non-graphically, install the
NVIDIA driver, modify grub.conf to specify "rdblacklist=nouveau
nomodeset", and then finally I could boot into the graphical login
screen and everything mostly works. At some point I managed to totally
bork the system where many services (including syslog) failed to start.
This was immediately after I ran all 500 or so updates, but I had been
making other changes as well so I'm not sure what really happened. I
ended up doing a reinstall, this time specifying the Fedora and Fedora
Update repositories. This produced a working system with all updates
already in place.

I say "mostly works" because I have not been able to get the screen to
replicate on both the laptop display and the external monitor (NVIDIA
calls this "TwinView" in one place in nvidia-settings, and "clones" in
another). I fiddled with the nvidia-settings for quite a while and could
never get this to work. On my previous Dell Latitude D520 laptop, it was
possible to get the screens to replicate with the resolution of the
laptop screen (1024x768). This problem could well be due to the fact
that the resolution of this display is 1440x990, which may not be
natively supported by either of the external monitors I have tried to
use. At some point I will try reducing the laptop display resolution to
1024x768 and seeing if it will replicate the screens then (I probably
wouldn't choose to use it in that mode but it would be interesting to
know if it would work, could be useful for presentations with
projectors).

Right now it does work with separate screens, but this mode requires me
to be able to see the laptop display, as that is the only place that I
can start applications (I have yet to figure out how to create a GNOME
panel on the external monitor X screen), Once started, the window can be
dragged over to the external monitor screen. This works, but it's
painful to use, at least for me.

As an aside, the screens do replicate just fine under Windows 7. I
suspect the Dell-provided W7 driver is doing some scaling for the
external display that the nvidia Linux driver doesn't.

--Greg