Re: F13: How to reset KDE user/session desktop to its defaults?

 On 08/20/2010 08:30 AM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Since I am a heavy gnome desktop user, I decided
> to take a look at KDE.
>
> The first thing I tried to do was to figure out how to
> move the bottom panel to the top, and I tried to
> drag and move it, but in the process, I "peeled" something
> out from the bottom and I unexpectedly dropped it into the
> middle of the screen...  it appeared as a partial window,
> there was only the title bar and what appeared to be, a 1/4"
> semi-window with no content and it was not a complete box
> encapsulation, it looked like two sticks on the left and right.
>
> I tried to put this "panel" back into the bottom panel, to
> no avail, giving up, I ended up deleting it.
>
> I noted that the bottom panel was not looking the same
> from its default.
>
> What I would like to do is to restore/reset the desktop back
> to a first time user.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Some say to delete the .kde4 in the user's home directory
> but on F13, I only see .kde, not .kde3 nor .kde4, so I am
> assuming that F13 by default is probably KDE 3?
>
> As noted, I have amarok and perhaps other kde apps in
> gnome so it is perhaps not a good idea to simply blow
> away the .kde directory nor to simply rename the .kde
> to something else and expect to recover my gnome & kde
> configurations, piecewise?  In particular, I definitely do not
> want to mess up my gnome settings, but since I am new to
> KDE, all I care is to figure out how to restore KDE to its new
> user defaults and proceed to learn how to configure KDE to
> my taste.
>
> Any advice?

OK, thanks for the advice.  I just blew away the KDE panel at
the bottom and reconstructed it.

I have some things to learn, but apparently I have yet
to discover how to move widgets around within a panel
and it seems that it is not possible to do that easily since
the panel as a whole is either left, center, or right justified
and does not allow for "float" adjustment as in Gnome
panels.

Also, there is that annoying "Desktop Folder" - geez, how
to I put stuff directly on the desktop just as in Gnome?

Well... I will have to explore some more.

Again, thanks!