Re: Evolution: get rid of Junk buttons?

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 12:20 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> Is there any way to remove the Junk/Not Junk buttons from the top
> panel

I'll make that easier for you.  Become the root user,

cd /usr/share/evolution/*/ui

You're going to modify this file, evolution-mail-message.xml, you might
want to back it up, but there's no real need with such a simple
modification.

Open it up in a text editor, and scroll down to the bottom of the file,
then scroll back up about four items, you'll find these entries:

      <toolitem name="MessageMarkAsJunk" verb=""
       _label="Junk"
       pixtype="pixbuf"/>
      <toolitem name="MessageMarkAsNotJunk" verb=""
       _label="Not Junk"
       pixtype="pixbuf"/>

Those are for the toolbar.  If you look through the whole file, you'll
find other "junk" entries for the menus, and hotkeys.

Put a <!-- and --> XML comment markers around those items, so that
they're ignored comments, rather than parsed XML content.  Thus:

<!--
      <toolitem name="MessageMarkAsJunk" verb=""
       _label="Junk"
       pixtype="pixbuf"/>
      <toolitem name="MessageMarkAsNotJunk" verb=""
       _label="Not Junk"
       pixtype="pixbuf"/>

 -->

And when you next start up Evolution, those buttons will be gone.

For the more adventurous, perhaps you can add some buttons for some
functions that you keep on using.  In the back of my mind I can hear
some list members muttering, "add to kill file, add to kill file."

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.