Re: F12: bash-completion issues?

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 10:30 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > I can reproduce this behaviour exactly. I have the bash-completion
> > package installed. Do you?
> >
> > poc
> >

> Yes, I have it installed on F12 and reinstalled it again.
> Does not work for me for some reason...

Why do you say it doesn't work? The examples you've given so far are not
bugs (or rather you haven't given enough detail to say that they *are*
bugs).

<rant>
Unfortunately bash-completion is *very* poorly documented. There's no
info file or man page and the online site is not at all informative. The
info file on bash itself only documents the basic completion functions
but not how the bash-comnpletion package uses them. The devels seem to
think that one should "just know" how it works because to a large extent
it copies some of the functionality of other shells such as zsh. Or you
can read the config files. This is hardly acceptable IMHO.
</rant>

The upshot is that while your first two examples (completion of the
first word on the line) are clear and are almost certainly not bugs, the
third example (redirecting stdout) is mysterious and seems to depend on
which specific command you're typing. I asked you to check what happens
with "ls > foo<Tab>" but you don't seem to have replied so far. IOW this
may or may not be a bug, but without a clear description of what
*should* happen it's hard to tell.

poc