Re: Creating an Audio only DVD from several CD's

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:36:30AM -0700, JD wrote:
>   On 08/11/2010 05:34 AM, linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> So, how do I create a DVD-Video without the Video, but with only Audio?
> >> KdEnlive can do that?
> >> Guess I need to read up and the how to!
> > Hello,
> >
> > Well, my steps to make a Video-DVD containing mainly audio are as
> > follows:
> >
> > $>  ffmpeg -loop_input -t 2000 -i display.jpg -i 1.wav -r 44100 -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 1.mpg
> > $>  ffmpeg -loop_input -t 2000 -i display.jpg -i 2.wav -r 44100 -target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 2.mpg
> > $>  dvdauthor -o testdvd -x dvd.xml
> > $>  cat dvd.xml
> > <dvdauthor>
> > <vmgm />
> > <titleset>
> > <titles>
> > <pgc>
> > <vob file="1.mpg" />
> > <vob file="2.mpg" />
> > </pgc>
> > </titles>
> > </titleset>
> > </dvdauthor>
> > EOF
> > $>  growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -dvd-video testdvd/
> >
> > The resulting DVD+RW (as I said before, I am having strange problems
> > creating DVD+R but no problems with DVD+RW) plays on vlc as well as on
> > my Denon DVD-player.
> >
> > Leaving out the video encoding doesn't seem to work, so I gave a photo
> > as a loop input into ffmpeg.
> >
> > However, it seems as if by the point all the audio has been encoded,
> > in ffmpeg's display the frame number keeps rising, but the size of the
> > resulting mpg file does not increase anymore. I need to press q to
> > stop ffmpeg encoding, and then I need to give it a shell interrupt
> > because it does not react anymore.
> >
> > Surely there must be an option which I have missed on the command line
> > of ffmpeg to tell it to stop loop_encoding the photo when the end of
> > the audio is reached. I might have to ask this on the ffmpeg mailing
> > list.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Gabriel
> >
> Thank you Gabriel.
> I have seen similar behavior to ffmpeg in ffplay - it just will not stop
> after the audio has been played.
> Guess the program writer(s) were not looking for EOF? :) :)

Well, you have to put the -shortest option to ffmpeg, then it works
fine. I asked on the ffmpeg list.  Although I still have the
impression that the video is slightly longer than the original
soundtrack, there is something added to the end of the file where
there is no sound anymore, but still video.

Somebody else on that list suggested:

"what if you knew the trt of your wav - which you must know , ie: it
is 5 min long , -t 5

ffmpeg -loop_input -i display.jpg -t 00:05:00:00 -i 1.wav -r 44100
-target pal-dvd -aspect 4:3 1.mpg"

I haven't tried that yet.

If you just want to have audio on the dvd, I think you cannot leave
out video, but maybe you can just add a blank screen as video.

Tell me about your results.

Gabriel