Re: F-13 new wireless routers -

  On 09/08/10 16:43, Phil Meyer wrote:

> I am now convinced that ethernet over power has reached an adequate
> cost/service ratio, and are the best way to go.
>
> Powerline networks are up to 200Mb commonly, and you can get a starter
> kit with two or three, depending on brand and model, for about $150.00.
>
> A combination of ethernet over power, and a meshed wireless set up from
> open-mesh is the best of both worlds.
>
> Good Luck!

    I don't doubt such things can work but predictably? It really seems
    like a technological step backward to me. I remember struggling with
    various X-10 devices to control things via power line signaling in
    the home. The device could be located near the controller but would
    not work reliably unless on the same "phase" of the 120 system. The
    signaling would not work unless powered by the same winding on the
    main power transformer without additional equipment to couple the
    signal across.

    That was in Florida where lightning damage was a constant threat. I
    wanted to control a solenoid operated valve at a well pump, it
    worked initially but did not survive. Even here in Virginia I would
    feel uneasy about creating a path from the power line to a signal
    level input on the computer.

    Bob