F-13 qnw wireless routers -

    This is a current updated f-13 computer connected to our home LAN. I
    have been using a Buffalo Airstation WLI-TX4-AG300N, essentially an
    Ethernet wireless adapter to access the system. I recently bought a
    Netgear WNDR330 dual band "N" wireless router and am having a lot of
    trouble getting it to perform as advertised. This is a less than 20
    year old typical two story frame house. I would expect the walls to
    be essentially transparent to RF energy.

    Normally the distance between the router and the wireless adapter is
    less than forty feet and there has been no problem operating in the
    2.4 gHz band however I find that with equipment located as it has
    been for several years the new router will not function at that
    distance in the 5 gHz band. In fact to get any connection at all I
    have to reduce the distance to about ten feet which pretty well
    negates the advantage of a wireless system. I decided several years
    ago that running cables in this house is out of the question.

    I am on the third WNDR3300 router for other reasons but all of them
    have had weak signal problems in the 5 gHz band. I just got around
    to experimenting with that problem over the last two days.

    Does anyone have experience with a similar system? I would be
    interested to know if my observations are typical or if I have an
    equipment problem. I am considering obtaining a different wireless
    adapter device to replace the Buffalo unit since it is the only
    thing unchanged here.

    Any suggestions or observations will be appreciated. I feel,like I
    am operating in a vacuum with no one to consult.

    Bob