Re: camera won't automount [Solved]

  No one responded on this query, but, for the sake of posterity, here's
the fix:
Many modern digital cameras have two modes in which the flash memory
operates, USB and PTP; I do not know what PTP means, but the effect of
it is, it doesn't allow the memory to be seen as ordinary flash memory.
Digikam can recognize a connected device operating in PTP mode and
that's why it worked there. In Windows-land, PTP mode, as I understand
it, is designed to work with Nikon's own software for managing photos. I
do not know if other manufacturers use this protocol, or whether it's
unique to Nikon. On some Nikon cameras, there are options in the menu to
run the memory in USB or PTP mode, but, the D90 does not offer this
choice, and can only run in PTP. The fix is to either use Digikam or
other software that can work with PTP mode enabled memory, or, remove
the memory from the camera and use a card reader.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA