Re: camera won't automount [Solved]

On Mon August 2 2010, Claude Jones wrote:
>   No one responded on this query, but, for the sake of posterity, here's
> the fix:
> Many modern digital cameras have two modes in which the flash memory
> operates, USB and PTP; I do not know what PTP means, but the effect of
> it is, it doesn't allow the memory to be seen as ordinary flash memory.
> Digikam can recognize a connected device operating in PTP mode and
> that's why it worked there. In Windows-land, PTP mode, as I understand
> it, is designed to work with Nikon's own software for managing photos. I
> do not know if other manufacturers use this protocol, or whether it's
> unique to Nikon. On some Nikon cameras, there are options in the menu to
> run the memory in USB or PTP mode, but, the D90 does not offer this
> choice, and can only run in PTP. The fix is to either use Digikam or
> other software that can work with PTP mode enabled memory, or, remove
> the memory from the camera and use a card reader.

I use Digikam with my Nilon D60, works great.
I just used it TODAY with my older Olympus C-750Z zoom.. I had taken some
videos of the hummingbirds outside.. Digikam was able to setup and recognize
the Olympus, see the files, and transfer them. It was NOT able to delete
them, like I can with the Nikon.. Only problem is the videos are .WMV files,
that sucks.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800