Re: [FALSE ALARM] Re: yum update and f12

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:52:29 -0700, Paul wrote:

[metadata_expire after 1.5 hours]

> I ran a test by firing up a second F12 system that is even more out of
> date. When I was able to log in, it took at least 15 minutes for
> PackageKit to tell me I had 600 updates ready.

PackageKit is something different. How often does it connect with remote
repositories to look for new metadata? How long does it take to download
the metadata archives for multiple repositories (= multiple MB each).

> I think what happened the
> first time was that I immediately ran "yum update" and it only had time
> to know it needed flash, after which your statement of 1.5 hours came
> into play and I didn't get the rest until it checked again.

The first time you would run "yum update" on a machine that has been
offline for a long time, it would notice that the timestamp file
/var/cache/yum/i386/12/updates/cachecookie  is a lot older than 1.5 hours,
and hence it would connect to the "updates" repo to check whether more
recent metadata are available.