Re: yum update and f12

comments inline and at tail

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:45:11 -0700, Paul wrote:
>

>> I also wanted to check about what
>> exactly "clean metadata" was going to do [...]
>>
> It is safe to run. The command deletes the local repository metadata cache
> and forces Yum to re-download the repository metadata next time you run
> it.  It is no silver bullet, but may help in odd cases.

Thanks for confirm, I will try.
>> [root@chalupa ~]# yum -v repolist
>> Not loading "blacklist" plugin, as it is disabled
>> Not loading "whiteout" plugin, as it is disabled
>>
> When you run "yum update", watch out for more plugins. From time to time
> there are users who are hit by non-default plugins which exclude thousands
> of packages due to misconfiguration or bugs.

Michael:

Can you elaborate a bit? I am rhinking that you might be focusing your
comments on the "blacklist" and "whiteout" comments (???) and I have
been operating under the assumption that, short of
Nvidia/Nouveau/blacklist, there isn't anything in these messages that I
need to worry about. I've seen presto and packagelist and have always
assumed they are part of yum and therefore safe.

I do plan to "man yum" to get a list of "what it has" before cleaning
and then xdiff what it has afterward to see what changed.

Thanks,
Paul