Re: Grub2 question

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:44:37 -0400
> Tom H wrote:
>
>> I wonder what the status of grub2 is in Fedora.
>
> Hopefully, the status is "we'll stick with grub forever".
> The newest ubuntu releases default to grub2 and I find
> it incredibly inconvenient. I could swear the main
> driving force behind grub over lilo was that you didn't
> have to run special tools after updating grub, but now
> with grub2 there are bits and pieces of grub config
> scattered all over the disk and you must run the update
> script to put them all together again after you change
> something. They should have named it lilo2 :-).

:)))

To be fair, the difference between grub1/2 and lilo remains that
grub1/2 don't update the mbr for every config change but only when
they are set up.

grub2's update is the equivalent of grubby on Fedora and grub1's
update-grub on Debian/Ubuntu.

In theory, the only grub2 file that a user needs to edit is
"/etc/default/grub" to set grub2's defaults like GRUB_TIMEOUT, etc.

In practice, the files in "/etc/grub.d" sometimes have to be edited
(or "chmod -x"'d to prevent them from being run by update-grub).