Re: Grub2 question

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 2:41 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Has anyone installed grub2 on F13?
> If yes, did it work OK?
> did you have to manually modify any files
> in /boot/grub?
>
> If it did  not work, was it easy to get back to legacy grub?

I have just installed grub2 in an f13 vbox (built through an f13 live
cd install) and it looks to me like that:
(1) grub1 is still in control and the mbr is untouched
(2) you can just uninstall grub2 because of (1)

For the record:

Installing grub2 added an entry to the grub1 menu pointing to grub2's
stage 1 img in /boot/grub2.

The grub boot menu remains grub1's and still defaults to the grub1
entry to boot the most recent kernel.

Choosing the grub2 entry fails because there is no grub.cfg.

Creating grub.cfg manually fails because gettext is not installed.

Installing gettext allows you to run "grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" to create a grub.cfg and be able to chainload
grub2 from grub1 (I hope that Fedora will eventually add an
"update-grub"/"update-grub2" shell script to run "grub2-mkconfig -o
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" like Debian/Ubuntu to save us the trouble of
creating it).