Re: Grub2 question

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  On 07/18/2010 12:13 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> I have just installed grub2 in an f13 vbox (built through an f13 live
>> cd install) and it looks to me like that:
>> (1) grub1 is still in control and the mbr is untouched
>> (2) you can just uninstall grub2 because of (1)
>>
>> For the record:
>>
>> Installing grub2 added an entry to the grub1 menu pointing to grub2's
>> stage 1 img in /boot/grub2.
>>
>> The grub boot menu remains grub1's and still defaults to the grub1
>> entry to boot the most recent kernel.
>>
>> Choosing the grub2 entry fails because there is no grub.cfg.
>>
>> Creating grub.cfg manually fails because gettext is not installed.
>>
>> Installing gettext allows you to run "grub2-mkconfig -o
>> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" to create a grub.cfg and be able to chainload
>> grub2 from grub1 (I hope that Fedora will eventually add an
>> "update-grub"/"update-grub2" shell script to run "grub2-mkconfig -o
>> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" like Debian/Ubuntu to save us the trouble of
>> creating it).
>
> Thank you for the heads up! I think I will pass  on grub2.

You're welcome.

If you simply install gettext and grub2 without running grub2-install,
you can test it out without it taking over the boot process. Anyway,
unless you want to use an lvm'd /boot, there's no point of running
grub2-install (other than having the "latest" grub version installed).

I wonder what the status of grub2 is in Fedora.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2 was last updated a year
ago. All the "Things that still have to be tested/worked on" have been
dealt with, AFAICT. Fedora seems to have grub2 available in its repos
for those who really want it NOW but has yet to give it a full polish
job. The "update-grub"/"update-grub2" shell scripts that I referred to
in my earlier email are missing even though the latter is referred to
in "/usr/share/doc/grub2-1.98/README.Fedora" and the grub2 executables
have been renamed "grub2-*"/"*-grub2" (upstream and Arch/Debian/Ubuntu
use "grub-*"/"*-grub") but, for example, the grub2-install help page
uses upstream's executable names. (The grub2-mkconfig help page has
been "Fedora'd"; I haven't checked any other ones.)