Re: New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:38:38 -0700,
  Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I can see two possible solutions.  One would take the form of yum
> checking to see if kmods are needed for a new kernel on the system and
> not downloading the kernel if the kmods aren't available.  Simply
> using dependencies isn't feasible as that would block people who don't
> need the kmods from using the kernel when it's released.  Yum would need
> to do some snooping on the system to find if kmods are needed or not.

I think there is a way to do this reasonably.

When kmods are released they should be set to conflict with higher
versioned kernels. As long as skip-broken can deal with this, this should
allow updating other things until the new kmod is ready.

When a new kmod is ready an update is also prepared for the old kmod that
removes the conflict. This should allow both the kernel and kmod updates.
(Assuming yum doesn't get confused by the conflict from the old installed
kmod.)

If there are yum problems with this scheme, they are probably fixable.