Re: New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

On 07/13/2010 06:06 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Tue, 7/13/10, Michael Miles<mmamiga6@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>

>> Fedora 12 x86_64
>>
>> I did look this time and it seems the gods that have
>> control did not
>> give a kmod for the new Nvidia driver 195.36.31 for the new
>> kernel
>> 2.6.32.16-141.
>> It has a kmod there for the old kernel 2.6.32.14-127
>>
>> The metapackage is there to track in new kmod but if there
>> is no kmod
>> there how can it track in?
>>
>> Anyway I hope nobody just pressed "update" without
>> checking
>>
> That's why I update manually.  No auto-update for me.  I don't even use the -y switch with yum, so I can still opt out of the update after I see the download list.
>
> As far as the new kmod, wait a few days, then check again.  The longest I had to wait one time (with F9) was a week, but most times it was a day or two.  However, I don't have to wait anymore:  F12's nouveau works just fine with my old GeForce 6600 card.

It just seems odd that this would be overlooked as to someone who is
newer to Linux than myself could find themselves in trouble if they just
updated because the system says there are updates.

I look on every update now just to make sure.

I'm just using a nvidia 9400 gt but I need the drivers from nvidia for
the Cuda

I run Set@home with boinc and GPU crunching is quick

Anyway will wait a bit and see. Last time only took 4 days so we shall see

Michael