Re: Can one now help?

  On 07/17/2010 01:18 PM, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> I have stuck in an awesome problem. Having fedora dual booted with
> windows, i edited the /etc/fstab and /etc/sysctl.conf files, but now
> my PC is not booting in fedora, it is only booting in windows, though
> it is showing the option to boot from fedora, but after selecting too,
> it seems as if it is booting from that but after some time, again it
> ends to the symbol of fedora which appears just before the user login
> page. While it boots from fedora, if i press, alt+tab buttons, it
> shows in a black screen that it cann't write pid, and some other
> comments like line 12 / 14 / 16 is bad of fstab. so what i do in this
> scenario?
>
> further the changes done in fstab are:
> [fedorax@localhost ~]$  su -c 'cp /etc/fstab/home/fedorax/Documents/fstab.backup'
>
> Password:<root pw>
>

> [fedorax@localhost ~]$  su -c 'gedit /etc/fstab'
>
> Password:<root pw>
>
> In the file popped up , where where the mount option says defaults
> append the text (giving a single character space just after wherever
> is written defaults):
>
> , noatime , nodiratime
>
> adding this line to whereever the defaults options was there.
>
> according to the link:
>
> http://digitizor.com/2009/01/31/fedora-speed-tweaks-make-fedora-faster/
>
> but unfortunately i cannot see now fstab because i am not able to
> login to fedora.
>
> Is there any possibility to go into the fedora via user login (root
> login already disabled by default)?
Use the install CD/DVD and select rescue mode.
The rescue mode will try to moun the fedora partition and will as for
permission to do so. Answer in the positive.
Then, chroot /mnt/sysimage  and fix your fstab.

You might want to copy your fstab to a usb stick (in case you are still
unable to boot into fedora),
and use your windows to follow this thread and post to it your fstab so
we can see what wlese might be wrong.