Re: os that rather uses the gpu?

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
.

"There he goes again"
I did not choose any position. I merely stated a fact and you concocted
from that, that I am taking a position on the issue.
I am an old timer by the average age of this list's subscribers. I was
around when the pdp 8 and pdp 11 were  used to teach
assembly language programming.

Quoting you:

"This is the kind of technology that is needed to solve huge mathematical
problems."

Highly questionable.  Mostly wrong.  Ok?

Bandwidth.  Bandwidth.  Bandwidth.

And it's a big problem for GPU's which are really, really good at pounding the living daylights out of small datasets, but of marginal usefulness for "huge mathematical problems," except for a small subset of such problems, like linpack.  I've argued this over and over again publicly.  People who actually control budgets already know what I have to say.  The most interesting problems are bandwidth-bound, not compute-bound.

If I could have a Fermi, would I?  You bet, because I want to play with one.  Do I expect it to open up new ground that in any way reflects naive measures of its computational power?  No, I don't.

Robert.