Re: os that rather uses the gpu?

  On 07/15/2010 01:58 PM, Michael Miles wrote:
> On 07/15/2010 11:38 AM, JD wrote:

>>> The other OS's Mac and Windows are using the GPU in its  video
>>> conversion programs.
>>> The newer programs will have selections to activate the GPU for computation.
>>>
>>> I have been using the GPU for scientific computation for quite a while now.
>>> Seti@home is very much a hobby and it takes samples from the areciebo
>>> telescope and analyse data looking for "You guessed it, ET"
>>> It will crunch numbers very fast compared to a normal CPU.
>>>
>>> I bench my Phenom 2 965 at 3 gflops/cpu   while the GPU will be doing 54
>>> Gflops .
>>>
>>> I have a slow video card Nvidia 9400GT. The bigger ones will go right up
>>> to  a full teraflop.
>>> That kind of speed would be well accepted if an OS would use it
>>> generally or software that is written for Video conversion to use it
>>> greatly reducing time.
>>>

>>> That's what I would like to see, more focus on speeding up video
>>> conversion especially with HD video and it seems that the GPU is a very
>>> inexpensive way to add a lot of power to your machines
>>>
>> A teraflop?? WHoa! Can the PCI  bus really feed the  gpu with
>> an instruction stream that will yield that performance?
>> I mean most pc's out there are in people's homes still pci (33 or 66 MHz
>> bus).
>> Relatively, fewer are on pci x16 which is a much faster bus.
>>
>> Thanks for your feedback.
>>

> PCI-E only will handle that kind of speed.
>
> It's also good to have a video card with fast ram and lots of it.
>
> The new Fermi chips coming out and mindboggling fast, over a tflop
>
> So yes seeing them take over some of the bigger computations for video
> conversion would be great.
>
> For instance the Nvidia 295 has 240 stream processors and is able to do
> 1788.48 gflops.
> Put two or three together in a sli config and you've got some power there
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_Series
>
> This page will give you an idea of what these things do.
>

> The 400 series uses Fermi and lets take the 480 gtx for instance, 480
> stream processors
> Now we are talking about 4+ tflops.
>
> That's getting quick
>
> As well Nvidia cards are well noted for over clocking.
>
> My little 9400 runs at 550 and shader runs at 1375.
> I can push those up to 700 and 1800 shader and no artifacts and no problems.
>

> Michael
This is the kind of technology that is needed to solve huge mathematical
problems.
Most smaller universities and colleges do not have massively parallel
supercomputers that are
vector processors. This could make it easy for such colleges and small
university research
projects to have some decent computational power.
At the same time we have to be wary of the export laws for such devices
because one thing
that I had read some years back is that breaking cyphers is exactly what
such powerful processors
can be used for or adapted to be used for. For many years, this has been
a tug of war between
industry on one side, and the department of defense and the NSA on the
other.