Re: os that rather uses the gpu?

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 On 07/15/2010 04:21 PM, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>        For many years, this has been
>     a tug of war between
>     industry on one side, and the department of defense and the NSA on the
>     other.
>

> You left out the Department of Energy, which is a much bigger player
> than the DoD.
>
> Meaningful computational power has been available on desktops for
> quite a while, and, if one desktop wasn't enough, you could always
> Beowulf it, which isn't much different from what the DoE has been doing.
>
> If you think flops is a good measure of the science you can do, you
> should probably be in a different business.
>
> Robert.

On this list, I do not think you should be in the business of
1- putting your words in other people's mouths
2- telling people what business they should or should not be in.

Thanks for the advice.

I've been involved in this debate in a very public way for a long time now.

YOU chose to use this list to advocate a position that the DoE has been using for years to convince people that ever bigger computers are a good way to spend money.  If you didn't say it, you certainly strongly implied it (more flops is better).

I answered you because you stepped on MY toes.

How long have you been around?  The Cray-1 was practically synonymous with "supercomputer," and that kind of power has been available to desktop users for a long time now.

Robert.