Re: New Update has no kmod for new kernel and new nvidia driver

On 14 July 2010 15:50, Rick Stevens <ricks@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 01:12 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> On Wednesday 14 July 2010 11:38 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>>> The second could be the grub updater doing a similar thing and not
>>> making the new kernel the default booting kernel if kmods don't exist.
>>> It'd have to do a similar kind of snoop that yum would have to do.
>>
>> The user can do this themselves,
>>
>> $ cat /etc/sysconfig/kernel
>> # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
>> # new kernels the default
>> UPDATEDEFAULT=yes
>>
>> Change the UPDATEDEFAULT to no
>
> "no" there simply means that grub should not make the new kernel the
> default at boot.  It doesn't check to see if a kmod is available for
> the new kernel or if the user's hardware configuration requires one (or
> if the user is using a driver that needs one).

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself well enough. When I say user I mean
a user who has installed kmods on their system. What I'm saying is
instead of looking for a complicated solution which is going to be
used by a relatively small section of the entire fedora user base,
maybe its worthwhile for the person using kmods to manage this on
their own end by changing that setting. Then when s/he is confident
that they have the needed kmods, then can manually change the default
kernel.

--
Suvayu