Re: Install Fedora 13 from Hard Drive

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Henry Wyatt <hewjr1000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Need link or instructions on how to install from HDD.
>>
>> Currently have F13 86x64 but want to install 32 bit instead
>>

> Copy the DVD iso onto a non-root partition on your machine, as an iso
> file. eg if you have a / and a /home partition then put the iso onto
> the /home partition. Or if you have a /opt partition that won't be
> altered during the install then you can put it in there instead.
>
> Then make a directory such as /mnt/tmp and then loop mount the iso
> onto that mount point by doing as root:
snip
> This approach allows a full normal install.   It is the way I normally
> do my "upgrades" from one version of Fedora to the next.

I perhaps ought to have mentioned that once the full normal install is
complete then there is some configuring to be done.
You have to set up any servers using the configs from your previous
system  - although the usual caveats of taking backups is vital I did
not mention it in my earlier post, presuming that this was already
standard information.

So once the install is done the tasks necessary to get the system back
to full order is as follows:
Set up any bind mount links from the root partition to the /home
partition - it is necessary to hand edit the /etc/passwd and
corresponding shadow, group and gshadow files to add in any users
other than the one created during the install (apart from root)
Set up ntpd if used
Set up dovecot server if used, plus dhcpd if used
Set up any local definitions for bind, bind-chroot
Set up any mail aliases and other mail settings
Check networking configs

All of the config files associated with the above should be in the
backup files - in fact I often will make a backup of key system areas
(such as /etc /var /boot/grub and so on) into an area like
/opt/Local/backups before starting the new install  and then all the
configs are on the untouched partition and can be copied back or
referred to in the new system to re-instate the original configs in
the new system.

Also necessary is to reinstate root .ssh configs if used, yum repos
like rpmfusion or google repo etc., or any other yum altered files
such as making the yum cache not delete rpms after updates

Also worth running restorecon on user areas in case contexts have
changed since the previous release.

In addition any personal firewall needs to be re-instated or special settings.

This list may sound like a lot but by keeping notes of which configs
you have this process usually results in a total time from starting
the install to a running and configured system in around 2.5 to 3
hours.

I hope this helps

--
mike c