Re: Q about swap size

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 09:01 -0700, JD wrote:
>> On 07/11/2010 09:10 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>>> I've been running Fedora on my old Thinkpad A22p (P-III/M w/512MB)
>> With only half a gig of ram, you will end up thrashing like crazy.
>> Of course you will have a high load factor.
>> How about putting in it the maximum amount of ram the notebook can handle.
>> Ram is cheap now!
>
> JD,
>
> I'd love to, but the operative word in my msg was "old". The memory
> sockets in the A22p support only 256MB SODIMMs. 512MB was huge in those
> days.
>
> Since sending my last message I discovered that F13, like earlier
> versions, insists on installing the beagle indexer. That's a serious
> performance killer on an old machine. Removing beagle, beagle-gnome, and
> beagle-evolution has provided some relief, but there's something else
> still feeding on my system. I'm looking for other CPU/RAM hungry
> services I don't need. Like beagle, they may not be controlled by
> chkconfig.

If you are out of CPU rather than memory, and that looks likely, there's one
more thing you can do to find the culprit. Install the system accounting
package, and run that for a while. You will then be able to generate a report of
the CPU and memory usage of processes as they terminate. At the least you will
have to do a sort and find the processes with high CPU usage overall (total
CPU-sec), and you might want to look for processes which use a high percentage
of CPU as well.

Once you can see where the CPU is going you can address the problem. That may
mean tuning, it may mean installing puppy linux, or tiny core linux, or deciding
that you like Fedora well enough to live with the issue.

Sitting and observing top may give you an answer, or you might see false
positives instead. Accounting can be turned on and off, so you can only try it
when you think you have the problem.

I run several VMs with less memory than that and they run okay, so depending on
what you are doing I don't think the memory is your problem.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>