Re: Q about swap size

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 09:01 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 07/11/2010 09:10 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > I've been running Fedora on my old Thinkpad A22p (P-III/M w/512MB)
> With only half a gig of ram, you will end up thrashing like crazy.
> Of course you will have a high load factor.
> How about putting in it the maximum amount of ram the notebook can handle.
> Ram is cheap now!

JD,

I'd love to, but the operative word in my msg was "old". The memory
sockets in the A22p support only 256MB SODIMMs. 512MB was huge in those
days.

Since sending my last message I discovered that F13, like earlier
versions, insists on installing the beagle indexer. That's a serious
performance killer on an old machine. Removing beagle, beagle-gnome, and
beagle-evolution has provided some relief, but there's something else
still feeding on my system. I'm looking for other CPU/RAM hungry
services I don't need. Like beagle, they may not be controlled by
chkconfig.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL