Making things easier for lurkers (was Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers)

Okay, the digest listing does give us the message-ID line from the
headers, so it shouldn't be too hard to maintain threading with a
little extra copy/paste.  If your MUA doesn't provide a way to set
arbitrary headers, though, that won't work after all.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have the html archives set up so
that, if you've logged in (as you do to change your mail settings),
you could click a link in the post and the list server would ship you
a copy of the post you're looking at, with all the addresses clipped,
and the original sender replaced with the list address, and the
message-ID intact for threading.

That could help resolve the discussion about setting the return
address to the list, as well.

I suppose I should cobble together some sort of demo.

(I have a more involved idea about a mailing list server that hides
the participants' addresses entirely, substituting list-use-only
addresses, but I'm having a hard time even describing that to myself.)

--
Joel Rees