Re: toolbar weather applet

Steven Stern wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 01:10 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>>
>> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
>> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>>
>> Right click the applet and unclick Update.  No go.  Updates anyway.  OK.
>>    Remove applet from toolbar.  No go.  Updates anyway.
>>
>> OK.  Logout/Login.  Still insists on updating.
>>
>> I never reboot.  OK, reboot.  Still calling home to NOAA.  What???
>>
>> Can't figure out the name of the program that the applet calls so I
>> can't manually destroy the pestilence.  This apparently is not something
>> considered worth noting in the Help/About links and is certainly not
>> available from the Add to Panel function.
>>
>> Where is it registered and how in the !#@$ do I kill it?
>>
>> Second question is how do we learn the names of the programs that are
>> invoked by these applets?  If I can't learn the name how do I yum
>> update/remove short of rm -rf /?
>>
>> This is with Weather Report 2.24.3.1 (/usr/bin/you'll never find me,
>> Copper ;) on f10.
>>
>> Bug, idiot, both? (cheap shot accepted)
>>
>> Sign this wasted way too many hours,
>> Mike Wright
>
> Right clicking and selecting "remove from panel" works for me.
>
> $ ps -ef |grep weather
> sdstern   2220     1  0 Jun27 ?        00:00:00
> /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_GWeatherApplet_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=30
>
> $ yum provides "*/gweather-applet-2"
> 1:gnome-applets-2.30.0-1.fc13.i686 : Small applications for the GNOME panel
> Repo        : installed
> Matched from:
> Filename    : /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
>
> Applets are controlled from ~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/
>
> With Gnome closed, you should be able to remove the controlling
> subdirectory if "remove from panel" fails.

Hate to be a gnub in that case ;D

> What's so horrible about it contacting NOAA?  How else is it supposed to
> get the weather?

I was traffic tracing on a private network.  Needed to eliminate
everything.  That's how I found that the app (with your invaluable
assistance) while indeed being removed from the panel was not being
destroyed i.e. removed from .gconf/apps/panel/applets (definite bug and
NOT fedora's).

Thanx