Re: toolbar weather applet

On 06/28/2010 01:10 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Trying desperately not to rant but am very frustrated by this.
>
> I made the mistake of adding the Weather applet to a toolbar and now I
> can't turn it off (tcpdump shows it phoning home).
>
> Right click the applet and unclick Update.  No go.  Updates anyway.  OK.
>    Remove applet from toolbar.  No go.  Updates anyway.
>
> OK.  Logout/Login.  Still insists on updating.
>
> I never reboot.  OK, reboot.  Still calling home to NOAA.  What???
>
> Can't figure out the name of the program that the applet calls so I
> can't manually destroy the pestilence.  This apparently is not something
> considered worth noting in the Help/About links and is certainly not
> available from the Add to Panel function.
>
> Where is it registered and how in the !#@$ do I kill it?
>
> Second question is how do we learn the names of the programs that are
> invoked by these applets?  If I can't learn the name how do I yum
> update/remove short of rm -rf /?
>
> This is with Weather Report 2.24.3.1 (/usr/bin/you'll never find me,
> Copper ;) on f10.
>
> Bug, idiot, both? (cheap shot accepted)
>
> Sign this wasted way too many hours,
> Mike Wright

Right clicking and selecting "remove from panel" works for me.

$ ps -ef |grep weather
sdstern   2220     1  0 Jun27 ?        00:00:00
/usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_GWeatherApplet_Factory --oaf-ior-fd=30

$ yum provides "*/gweather-applet-2"
1:gnome-applets-2.30.0-1.fc13.i686 : Small applications for the GNOME panel
Repo        : installed
Matched from:
Filename    : /usr/libexec/gweather-applet-2

Applets are controlled from ~/.gconf/apps/panel/applets/

With Gnome closed, you should be able to remove the controlling
subdirectory if "remove from panel" fails.

What's so horrible about it contacting NOAA?  How else is it supposed to
get the weather?

--
-- Steve