Re: Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 02:46:24PM -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> I thought it was sufficient to look into the headers
> of the offending email spammmers and add these respective
> IP address and/or host names to the /etc/mail/access file,
> but I am beginning to suspect that these headers could be
> easily spoofed with bogus entries, right?
>
> I am really getting tired of adding in entries into the access
> file, and writing email filters (in thunderbird) for patterns
> dumping spammers into the trash - and yet - I am still forced
> to review the trash for entries that should not have been trashed.
> Seems like a real chore and a losing proposition...
>
> What do admins of sendmail use, besides spamassasin?

Well, I run sendmail here at home on a mostly single-user box for
a domain with only two email users. For myself I run a copy of
spambayes that is incoporated into the .procmailrc file, i.e.,
it is called therefrom, and depending on what it gives back, the
mail is delivered to me normally, or it falls into "unsure" or "spam"
mailboxes.

It fairly seldom puts good mail into spam or unsure, and similarly
seldom puts spam into the good mail, though it does happen. It's
certainly the best filter I've run into (not that I've tried very
many, mind you.)

you can find spambayes, should you want it, on sourceforge.

downside is it is intended to be set up for individual users rather
than as a server tool. There may be ways to do it so it covers all
users on the server, but I've never thought about how to do it.

Good luck!

Fred

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996