Re: Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I thought it was sufficient to look into the headers
> of the offending email spammmers and add these respective
> IP address and/or host names to the /etc/mail/access file,
> but I am beginning to suspect that these headers could be
> easily spoofed with bogus entries, right?

right.

i will make you a suggestion for a method that i use and i have posted to
other threads on this list and to thunderbird support list.

call it what you want, *spam/junk/phishing*, it is all mail that you do not
wish to see.

because you are using thunderbird for you email client, set up your junk
filtering to move junk email to 'Junk' folder and 'not mark as read'.

in your 'tool bar', right click, select 'customize' and from
'customize toolbar' window drag 'Junk' icon to .tool bar', close window.

if you read emails in single 'view' window, do same as above for it.

when you receive a 'spam/junk/phishing' email, click on email to highlight
and click 'Junk' icon on 'tool bar' to move it to 'Junk' folder.

when viewing emails in 'view' window, and you have a 'spam/junk/phishing'
email appear, click 'Junk' icon to move email to 'Junk' folder.

once you have done this for a few emails, 'junk filters' will kick in and
start sending 'spam/junk/phishing' emails to 'Junk' folder. when this
happens, you will note 'Junk' folder in bold type and small red sun icon
will appear. highlight 'Junk' folder to view 'Subject' and 'Sender' to
verify that it is 'spam/junk/phishing' email.

from time to time you will have 'spam/junk/phishing' emails come in thru
list that you are subscribed to. just mark them as 'junk' and they will
get sent to 'Junk' folder. this will cause a few good emails to be sent
to 'Junk' folder and this is why you leave marked as 'unread' so 'Junk'
folder will bold and show you have new 'spam/junk/phishing'. when you
highlight email that is good and click 'Junk' icon as 'not junk', move to
proper folder.

this will take a few times to train thunderbird's junk filters, but it is
well worth little effort it takes and you will catch email that 'sendmail'
does not catch from headers.

also, before readers try to tell me it will not work, try it yourself and
you will find that it does.

i used this method and it does work to catch what is not caught by my
email service providers and has been doing so for several years.

hth.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.