Re: Another funny update?

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 17:02:58 -0400,
  Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 22:02:49 -0400,
> >   Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > As I said, I don't believe rpmfusion, a repository not supported by Red
> > > Hat/Fedora,  could block a kernel update.
> >
> > They can using 'conflicts' in the spec file.
>

> What's this spec file? How do you use conflicts?

It's in the source rpm.
Example:
Conflicts: kernel-PAE > kernel-PAE-2.6.33.5-128.fc13
Conflicts: kernel > kernel-PAE-2.6.33.5-128.fc13

> > If the kmod is installed first,
> >

> How do I make "if" less iffy?

In the case where you don't have any kmod installed and there isn't one
available for the latest kernel you have installed, you'd reboot to
make sure you are running a kernel supported by the kmod you are interested
in, uninstall all of the later kernels and then install the kmod.

> You'll have to explain this whole process. I'd be very surprised if a
> repository not belonging to Red Hat/Fedora could prevent a kernel upgrade or
> any upgrade. This could eb dangerous.

It's not really something YOU (as a user) would do. It needs to be done
upstream in RPMFusion. I would expect the packagers there to know how to use
conflicts. I don't know whether or not they have thought of using it
to solve your problem. I don't know that they'd accept that as a solution
to the problem. If you want something to change you should ask them about it.