Re: Another funny update?

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 19:03:41 -0400,
 Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How can rpmfusion provide the module for a kernel it's not expecting because
> the one in testing -- posted yesterday!!!! -- is an earlier kernel? This
> seems to me like an important post and everybody ignores it.

Accidentally pushing an earlier version of the kernel to testing isn't
going to cause a problem for people using kmod's because it won't be
installed as an update. Someone would have to manually install that
specific version.

Isn't RPMfusion preparing its upcoming module according to the kernel version that is in Testing? I would think that RPMfusion has a nice working module for kernel 2.6.32.10-92.fc12. Since Fedora decided instead to update with 2.6.32.14-127.fc12 without a warning ,they might decide to never provide the module for this kernel.

But I not fully aware of the development process. Is there any way RPMfusion could have known which kernel was to be released when it was not the one in testing?

If there was an official way RPMfusion could know the number of the upcoming kernel, what is it? In this case, RPMfusion didn't do its job properly.

If there was no way, Fedora should provide excuses. Or, if Fedora doesn't want to play the game with RPMfusion because NVIDIA drivers are not open source, they should say so and everybody will move to Nouveau. People using Fedora will know that NVIDIA drivers are not available.

What is unacceptable is the present situation, where you can't get a shade of an explanation as to what happened. From a serious distro, this is totally unacceptable.

So, let me ask: why wasn't the kernel in testing released? If the one that has finally been offered was deemed better, why wasn't it put in testing before release?